Children live in a world of busy parents, school pressures, incessant lessons, video games, malls, and competitive sports. We don’t think of
this as stress, but often it can be. Kids yoga classes help to counter these pressures. When children learn techniques for self-health, relaxation, and inner fulfillment, they can navigate life’s challenges with
a little more ease.
Participating in kids yoga classes at an early age encourages self-esteem and body awareness with a physical activity that’s non-competitive. Fostering cooperation, compassion, and fun is a great gift to kids of any age.
The class structure is very different from an adult class and always aims include to these 4 concepts: Connect, Poses, Fun, Quiet. Think of
it as an opportunity to exchange wisdom, share good times, and lay the foundation for a lifelong practice that will continue to deepen. Classes are co-created, using the yoga asanas as a springboard for exploration of other areas—examples for each age group is below:
Below age 3: we do poses by using a lot of visual props and songs. Examples include:
- Dolls, puppets, stickers
- Stamps, picture books, yoga story time
- Song and move
Age 3 and up: we start engaging their imagination and by co-creating the class with them to empower them with choices. Examples include:
- Going on a yoga journey
- Wizard says
- Around the globe
- Inventing your own story
- Yoga riddles, pictionary, games and obstacle courses
Age 6 and up: we add more conceptual topics such as trust, friendship, or helping as a theme for class and start refining poses. Examples include:
- The yoga problem
- Yoga workshop
- The pose of the month
- Yoga sculptures
- Class with a concept
- Human mandala
- Follow my body
- The wave
- Yoga Choreography
- Partner sequences
Benefits of kids yoga include:
- Physically, it enhances their flexibility,strength, coordination, and body awareness
- Their concentration and sense of calmness and relaxation improves
- Children exercise, play, connect more deeply with the inner self
- Develop an intimate relationship with the natural world that surrounds them when they imitate the movements and sounds of nature, they have a chance to get inside another being and imagine taking on its qualities.
- Kids yoga brings that marvelous inner light that all children have to the surface.